Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Exercising in the Country

When we lived in an apartment in the suburbs, my husband and I frequently used the paved trail that was easily accessible from our backyard. The trail was great for leisurely walks or sweat-inducing bike rides (when the trail wasn't under construction and the city wasn't lying about completion dates, we could go on 20+ mile bike rides). On the days we wanted some different scenery, we walked across the street to stroll around the park or trekked on the winding sidewalks through the nearby subdivision. 

While we had numerous walking options, we were pretty much stuck riding our bikes on the trail or schlepping our bikes on the car to safe, low traffic locations. Although I saw a couple brave souls riding their bikes on the busy street that ran in front of our apartment complex,  I was not going to put my life or my bike's life in the hands of any of those drivers. Even the trail was getting a little dangerous. I can't tell you how many parents, with three children under five on tricycles on the wrong side of the trail and a dog with its leash stretched across the trail, were diligently playing Words with Friends on their iPhone while simultaneously guaranteeing my certain doom. No matter how many times you ring your bell or shout, "On your left!", you're still forced to bring your bike to a complete stop as the parent eyes you as if you almost killed his/her children and not the other way around. I'm not saying bikes are innocent in this case; my dad was just recently pummeled by a cyclist who cut a corner on the trail going 1,000,000 mph. Don't worry- my dad is okay, and the other guy got 20 stitches. Anyway, my main point is that the streets weren't safe and neither were the trails.

Enter our new location in the country. There are no sidewalks, and honestly, I don't see a lot of use for them because I rarely see people out walking/running/biking. Lack of sidewalks didn't put a damper on our walks though. Apparently, you can walk on the street! Despite some unleashed, barky, charging dogs, the walks are safe and have offered really beautiful views.We see more cats than cars when we go on our strolls, and the plethora of "God Bless America" mailboxes is just something you have to see for yourself.


Okay, this is more of a yellow field than a green one, but it's still neat to see.
The bike routes available to us are the best part. Who needs a trail when you can go ride on the road and count the number of cars you see on one hand? Instead of children, yappy dogs, and iPhones, you are greeted by horses, geese with their awkward molting babies, cows, green fields, old-timey country homes, and wide open spaces (yes, the kind the Dixie Chicks sang about). While you do have to be a little mindful of traffic and people, you are able to spend more time working on your fitness and your pedal stroke. Best of all, you don't have to worry about the next yorkie that's going to clothesline you.
Don't worry, honey! This is a yorkie-free zone!
Speaking of bike rides, I'm going on a big one in September to help benefit people with multiple sclerosis. If you'd like to support me and help people living with MS, please donate on my Bike MS fundraising page. My best friend and a few of my family members have been diagnosed with MS, so this cause is close to my heart. Please help if you can. No amount is too small. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment